TITLE and ACRONYM PROJECT:
Protecting and developing almond cultivation in Palestine (Almond seed wasp)
Study almond seed wasp monitoring and controlling
- Containing the decline of almond cultivation that is caused, mainly, by two factors:
- Almond seed wasp pest and unavailability of efficient control methods
- Lack of farmer experience in almond cultivation techniques and practices
- Studying the biology and ecology of the almond seed wasp within Palestine conditions, in view to build an organic almond production program in Palestine and rending almond cultivation more profitable and wealthy activity for farmers.
- Raised awareness in farmers about the seed wasp problem and the low productivity problem.
- Efficient control strategy for almond seed wasp was developed.
- CORE in partnership with Soil & More International (SMI) worked in the assessment of
current soil fertility and compost in Palestine and conducted a workshop about compost
and compost tea application and production.
- Conducting visual diagnoses in field, data and samples collection from almond orchards
- installing traps in the 12 identified farms (Pheromone and mechanical traps)
- experimentation and samples analyses in field and lab conditions
- pesticide treatment in the identified farms
- field extension visits for almond growers
- 4 workshops to increase farmer awareness about almond seed wasp importance and its control methods
- Preparing and distributing a leaflet about almond seed wasp pest and control methods Procurement of materials.
TITLE and ACRONYM PROJECT:
Campaign for promoting almond organic farming in Palestine
promoting almond organic farming in Palestine
The main objective of this project is to improve the farmer's livelihood in the target area through promoting almond organic farming. Organic farming adds a value to the almond production which increases the price, in about 10% , decreases the costs, and improves the exporting potentials for these products which will lead to increase the income of the farmers and their families. Organic farming also has a positive impact on the environment because it forbids the usage of contaminating chemicals, it also doesn't deplete the natural resources (water, soil and fertility, biodiversity) and it depends on the in-farm inputs, that's why this initiative encourages the improvement of almond crop based on improving the "Hasan L'esaad" local variety. This genuine and clean production also has an impact on the consumers' health. The analysis done by Lush laboratories showed that the "Hasan L'esaad" variety contained higher levels of protein E in comparison with the normal varieties.
The expected improvement of the almond farmers livelihood will contribute and lead to improving the agricultural sector in general because it will give farmers a better chance and more possibilities to invest more in agriculture.
- Increase farmers and other stakeholders awareness and knowledge about organic farming and the benefits of organic farming practices
- New organic farming practices have been introduced and used by farmers, the most important one is controlling almond seed wasp by collecting and eliminating infected almond fruits from almond fields as efficient simple and organic method in controlling almond seed wasp
- More than 6700 kg of infected almonds fruits were eliminated from the almonds fields which dramatically will decrease the infection by almond seed wasp in next season and decrease farmers losses
- As result of these project activates 76 farmers from 216 farmers registered in PFTA more than 35% have been converted to organic almond farming and enter conversion period
- Project coordination and management.
- Purchasing infected almond fruits.
- Training of trainers on almond organic farming.
- Farmer training on Almond organic farming.
- Preparing and distributing hand out about almond organic farming.